Are you struggling with a headache? Does it make you very uneasy and sick? And do you want to know how to remove this headache condition as fast as possible? If your answer is “YES”, please keep reading this writing on our page EffectiveRemedies.com, that will reveal to you top 20 best natural home remedies for headaches pain so that you can follow them easily to battle this problem. This writing collected the best treatments to deal with headache attacks from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give the medical advice, and it is only for the informational purpose. Here are 20 best home remedies that you can apply easily at home. Keep reading this writing to discover more about them!
Top 20 Best Natural Home Remedies For Headaches Pain
1. Peppermint Oil
The first home remedy for headaches in this list is peppermint oil. Headaches including migraine pain occur due to the poor blood flow. Therefore, this herb oil will help you to promote the blood flow. Now I would like to introduce you to the specific instructions to get relief from headaches.
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 drops of peppermint oil
- 1 tbsp of almond
- Mix all ingredients well in a clean bowl. (You can mix 3 drops of fresh peppermint oil with water).
- Next you scrub your forehead and temple with this mixture. You will feel better immediately.
In addition, you can use fresh peppermint leaves as an excellent remedy for your headaches. This method is very easy and simple. Firstly, you crush some fresh peppermint leaves. Then you put these crushed leaves on the forehead to get rid of your terrible headaches.
Alternately, you can apply the smell of fresh peppermint oil to reduce your headaches. Here is the way to use the peppermint oil only:
- Add 3-4 drops of fresh peppermint oil to a clean bowl of hot water.
- Then you inhale the steam for 4-5 minutes. You will see the improvement when using this method.
2. Lavender Oil
The second popular remedy I would like introduce you is lavender oil. As you know, the lavender oil smells great and helps to relax, but do you know it is also one of the best home remedies for headaches? Now keep reading to learn more.
- The first step is boiling 3 -4 cups of water in a pot.
- Next add 2-4 drops of lavender oil to this pot of boiling water.
- Then you inhale slowly the lavender oil vapor and take a deep breath.
- You should do this method to relieve your headache quickly.
Note: do not drink lavender oil.
3. Mint Juice
Another effective remedy you should know is mint juice containing menthol and menthone that can reduce headaches. Now I will give you specific instructions.
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- Firstly, you crush the fresh mint leaves.
- Then you apply the crushed mint leaves on your forehead and temple.
Do this when you are suffering from headache to get rid of it immediately. Or you can place the mint tea compress on your forehead to get instant relief.
Ginger is known as an effective home remedies you can easily apply at home. Ginger can reduce headaches by decreasing the inflammatory of your blood vessels, so that is the reason for why ginger is mentioned as one of the beneficial home remedies for headaches. Here is the detailed direction you should follow.
- Firstly, you mix the lemon juice and the ginger juice in the same amount. You should consume this mixture once or twice daily.
- Secondly, you can follow this method. You mix 2 tbsp of water with 1 tsp of dry ginger powder to make a paste. Now apply this paste on your forehead for a few minutes.
- Alternately, you can apply this method. You place the raw ginger or ginger powder to the water. Next, you boil it. Then you steam the vapor. Now apply it on your forehead for 3-5 minutes.
You can choose one of the above methods using ginger to relieve your headaches. You should repeat this as needed. Or you can chew 1 or 2 ginger sweets to relieve headaches.
5. Ice Pack
Ice pack is one of the effective and natural home remedies for headaches. It helps to decrease the inflammatory that is one of the common causes of headache. In addition, it is very effective on reducing the pain. You can choose one of the methods using ice pack as below to get rid of your headaches.
- Firstly, you can put the ice pack on your neck’s back. This method can remove your headaches quickly.
- Secondly, you can dip a washcloth into ice-cold water. Then you put this cloth over the forehead for 5 minutes. You should continue applying this method several times per day, and you will feel better.
- Or you can use the small bag of frozen vegetables. Then you put this bag to your forehead for 1 hour.
All the above recipes can help you get relief from headaches immediately after applying them.
Do you believe that basil can help you alleviate your headaches immediately? Because the analgesic present in basil can calm your head, and to cure headaches, you can apply one of three methods using basil as following:
- The first method is making a basil tea. You boil 1 cup of water. Next add 3-4 fresh basil leaves into the boiling water. Then you simmer it for a few minutes. Add a little bit of honey if you want. Now slowly sip this tea to relieve your headache.
- Or simply, you pour water in a pot and add 4-5 drops of basil oil or fresh basil leaves into the pot. Next boil this mixture. After that, you steam with this mixture.
- Alternately, you can chew the fresh basil leaves or use the basil oil to rub on your forehead to reduce your headache.
All these above home remedies are the best solutions for you. You should do these remedies till your headache is gone.
As clove contains cooling and pain relieving properties, it is mentioned as one of the helpful home remedies for headaches. Therefore, you can consume clove to relieve your pain caused by headache. Here are some simple ways of using cloves for relieving headaches such as:
- Firstly, you gently mash a few cloves. Next you place them in a sachet or tissue. When you suffer from headaches, inhale the smell of mashed cloves until you feel better.
- This is the second method. Mix 1 tsp of the carrier oil with 2 drops of clove oil. Then you apply this mixture on your forehead and temple and massage gently.
- Or you can combine two drops of clove oils, 1 tsp of salt, and 2 tsp of coconut oil well. Then you massage gently your forehead with the mixture.
You should apply one of these methods to treat your headaches.
The rosmarinic acid in rosemary contains the soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of headaches. That is the reason for why it is mentioned as one of the effective home remedies for headaches. Here are the instructions you can follow to consume rosemary.
- Firstly, you boil 1 tsp of the crushed fresh rosemary leaves with 1 tsp of the mashed sage leaves and 1 cup of water.
- Next when it is boiling, you cover it and leave it to steep for ten minutes.
- Then you let it cool.
- Finally, you drink this tea.
- You should have this 2-3 times daily till your headache is gone.
If you feel that the above method is too complex, you can do the following method. Firstly, you mix 4-5 drops of carrier oil with 4-5 drops of rosemary well. Then you use this mixture to rub on your forehead. It can help take your headaches away.
Note: People who suffer from epilepsy or high blood pressure cannot apply this solution to treat headaches.
You should try acupressure to treat your headache at home because it can reduce your pain quickly. Now I will give you the way to do this remedy.
- Firstly, you press and massage gently the area between the thumb and index finger. You continue doing this so that your thumb and finger are brought together.
- Do this remedy for 1 or 2 minutes. Then you repeat this on the other hand.
This method will help you get rid of headache quickly. However, don’t forget that if you are pregnant, you have to avoid this remedy.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Both fresh apple & apple cider vinegar can balance acid & alkaline levels in your body.
Apple cider vinegar is used to prevent your headache, so it is known as one of the best home remedies for headaches.
If you regularly face headaches, you can eat an apple with a small amount of salt and drink some water to take your headache away. Besides, you can add 2 drops of the fresh apple cider vinegar into a cup of water. Then you drink it 2 -3 times per day.
This is another method using ACV you can apply to get the instant result.
- Pour hot water into a big clean bowl.
- Add three or four tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Take a towel and hold it over your head.
- Then steam for ten or fifteen minutes.
Along with other home remedies for headaches, lemon that is an effective & powerful ingredient is used to treat headaches because it has refreshing and relaxing properties. In addition, it can maintain the acid – alkaline balance in the body. There are two ways to applying lemon for relieving pain caused by headache.
- Squeeze a half of a lemon to extract the lemon juice.
- Next mix the lemon juice in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Then you drink this juice.
- Firstly, you crush the lemon crusts.
- Secondly, you pound into a paste.
- Then you apply this paste to your forehead.
Both the above remedies will help you relieve the headache quickly.
12. Betel Leaves
Betel leave is a very popular traditional remedy for headache due to its analgesic as well as cooling properties that are very effective on reducing the pain. You can follow the below methods using betel leaves to treat your headache immediately.
- A grinder
- 2-3 betel leaves
- You put the fresh betel leaves to the small grinder.
- Then you make a paste by grinding the betel leaves.
- Next you apply this paste to your forehead and temple.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
The second method is simpler. You just need chew 2 -3 fresh betel leaves to get rid of headaches.
Do you think that cinnamon is also a good ingredient to prevent headaches? It is used to treat headache that is caused by the excessive exposure to cold air. Now I will give you specific instructions:
- Firstly, you grind 2-3 cinnamon sticks into powder.
- Next pour water over it to make a paste.
- Then apply this paste on your temples and forehead.
- After that, you lay down for 30 minutes.
- Then rinse off with lukewarm water.
This remedy will take your headache away.
If you want to quit headaches quickly, you should use cayenne. Due to the capsaicin present in the cayenne, it is able to relieve the pain, and in order to use cayenne to treat the headaches, you will prepare these things as following:
- 100ml water
- Cotton swabs
- ½ tsp of cayenne powder
Now let’s take instructions.
- Firstly, you dilute the cayenne powder into the lukewarm water.
- Next you soak the swabs into this mixture.
- Then you stir these swabs around so that the powder can cover them.
- Finally, you apply them to your nostrils until you feel the heat.
- After ten or fifteen minutes, you take the swabs out of your nostrils.
Remember that you will feel a bit uneasy at first due to burning, but you will feel better later.
The pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties in eucalyptus oil can help you to relax tense muscles that contribute to your headache. Besides, it also can provide the soothing effect. That is why the eucalyptus is listed in this article. Now keep reading to know specific instructions.
- You will need 4 -5 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Then apply it to your forehead, and temples and massage gently for 15 -20 minutes.
- Do this when you are suffering from a headache attack.
16. Green Tea
Green tea is not only a good remedy for dry skin, but also one of the very effective home remedies for headaches. It has a plentiful source of antioxidants that can relieve the pain caused by headache. To do this remedy, you will need:
- Warm water
- Green tea bag
- ½ of a lemon
Step by step directions you can follow:
- Firstly, you add a green tea bag to a cup of warm water.
- Then you squeeze a half part of a lemon to extract the lemon juice.
- Next you add lemon juice to green tea and mix well.
- Finally, slowly sip the green tea. It will reduce your headache quickly after you drink it.
You can use watermelon to treat your terrible headache. It will also help you reduce stress, and relax your mind. Now let’s do the remedy.
- A clean glass
- Watermelon juice
- Pour watermelon into the clean glass.
- Then add 1 tsp of sugar to a glass of watermelon juice.
- Mix it well and enjoy it
If you suffer from headache caused by heat, watermelon is very useful to treat this problem.
Alternately, you can apply another method by mixing ½ cup of yogurt, 2 cups of watermelon, ½ tsp of grated ginger, a little bit of honey, and ½ cup of crushed ice well. Then you drink this to get instant relief from a headache attack.
As you know, feverfew that is one of traditional Chinese medicine methods is known as an excellent aromatic herb used to remove the kinds of headache. Therefore, it can eliminate the pain by decreasing the inflammatory in blood vessels in brain. It helps quell vomit and nausea in the person suffering from migraines. Hence, feverfew is listed in this writing.
Remember that the amount of feverfew you consume depends on the level of the headache you are suffering from. Normally, 250 grams (a minimum amount) of feverfew per day will be helpful. You also can intake about 300 grams of feverfew twice daily and use it for two weeks. If you have a serious headache, you should consume feverfew for four weeks or more. This solution will reduce pain caused by migraines and headaches.
19. Essential Oil
The mixture of oils is one of effective home remedies for headaches. Making the mixture of oils is very simple and easy. You will use clary sage oil, roman chamomile oil, and lavender oil because all of them have benefits on treating headache attacks. Clary sage oil can turn down your blood pressure. Lavender oil is considered as a pain reliever. Meanwhile, roman chamomile oil can work as a good muscle relaxant. Now I will give you specific instructions.
- You will need a warm bath.
- Next you add 6 -8 drops of essential oils to this bath.
- Soak and massage gently your body into this bath for twenty minutes.
The essential oil will help you relax, and your headache will be gone.
Dehydration is one of the causes of headaches, so you can get rid of pain by hydrating your body. This is a good solution, which you can apply at home to get rid of a headache attack. When you are suffering from headache, drinking a cup of water is very useful for you. Along with water, you can drink sports drinks. The sports drinks having the electrolytes will help to treat your headache caused by tension or dehydration.
Note: You had better avoid some drinks containing alcohol like beer and wine when you are suffering from headache because they make your body dehydrated.
In addition, you can get fast relief from headaches by following some small tips below:
- Stay away from stress
- Avoid eyestrain
- Take a warm shower or bath
- Laugh more
- Take a warm bath or shower
- Take warm footbaths
- Eat healthy organic food daily
- Stay calm and positive
- Avoid skipping meals
- Sleep enough and well
- Relax by listening to favorite music, reading a book, walking in a park and so on.
- Take a nap daily
- Drink enough water (2 liters a day)
- Intake more foods containing vitamin C, vitamin B2, and minerals like magnesium.
- Avoid foods such as peanut butter, sour cream, chocolate, and caffeinated beverages such as coffee, cola, and tea.
- Massage your head, neck, shoulder, and back to let your muscles relax.
To get more information related to other health problems and effective home remedies, visit our mainHome Remedies page. You will feel better within 2-3 hours if you apply some of the above home remedies for headaches. Nevertheless, if your symptoms last for a long time, you need to see your doctors immediately. If you want to discuss and give more other useful home remedies for headaches or any other diseases, please leave your comments bellow. We will correspond with you as soon as possible.